Road Safety is major concerned nowadays in India, due to increase in road accidents and violation of traffic rules by the people and automotive industries. The bill is still stuck in Rajya Sabha after getting a green signal from Lok Sabha as many political Parties are opposing this bill as according to them it tends to curtail the power of state government and is in the favour of Corporate. It contains many provision to upgrade road safety.
In a survey conducted last year by Consumer Voice, an organisation indulge in policy making and complaints settlements, it was found that 96% of participant were in favour of this new amendment, which would bring 50% reduction in road accidents in a couple of years and would bring a revolutionary change in 30 years old Motor Vehicle Bill.
Some of the Important Proposals are as the following:-
- Making Adhaar Card mandatory for registering for new vehicle and driving License.
- Compensation for the dead Victim ’s family of Hit and run case has been increased from Rs 25,000/- to Rs 2 lakh.
- Traffic violations by Juvenile, then the owner of the vehicle will be held responsible in cancelling of its vehicle registration if they fail to provide proof that the vehicle used was without their knowledge or consent. The Juvenile will be trialled under the Juvenile Act.
- The Bill has provisions for protecting the helping hands provided to the victim of road accident from civil or criminal liability and also makes optional for them to disclose their identity.
- The minimum fine of Rs 2000/- has been increased to Rs. 10000/- for drunk driving.
- The fine for rash driving has been revised from Rs. 1000/- to Rs. 5000/-.
- The amount Rs. 5000/- will be fined for the driving without the licence, which is Rs. 500/- at present.
- Over –speeding will tend to attract the fine of Rs 1000/- to Rs. 2000/- instead of Rs. 400/-.
- The Renewal time limit for the expired Driving licence has been increased from one month to one year after the expiration.
- Eradication of Cap on liability for Third party Insurance, presently it is Rs 10 Lakh in case of death and Rs. 2 lakh for fatal injuries.
- Accountability of Contractors, Consultants and Civic agencies will be in priority for faulty design, maintenance and constructions which leads to road accidents.
- Get ready to pay Rs. 1000/- instead of Rs. 100/- in case of not wearing seat belts.
- The government can recall any vehicles with faulty or substandard parts and the manufacturer will be fined Rs. 500 crore for it.
- Talking over the phone while driving can attract the fine of amount Rs. 5000/- instead of Rs. 1000/-.
- Time Limit for an application of compensation to the Claims Tribunal with regards to road accidents has been specified to 6 months.
- It is made mandatory for the manufacturer to alter their design for the person with the disability.
- Compulsory insurance for all the road users in India provided by Motor Vehicle Accident Fund.